- Live Dealer
- Great selection of slots
- High-quality live dealer games
- Excellent welcome bonus
- Live Dealer
- 300+ games
- Crypto-friendly casino
- Live dealer jackpot
- Bonus galore for different verticals
The majority of players who visit an online casino do so in order to play popular online casino games such as online poker, slots, blackjack and roulette. The game of Keno is not as popular as some of these other classic games but during the last 5 years there has been an increase in the popularity of the game of Keno that has resulted in more online casinos adding Keno to their offering.
While many continue to debate whether poker is a game of skill or chance, there is no such grey area when it comes to internet Keno as it is purely a game of chance.
Players decide to bet on a set of numbers and the online casino then picks out numbers at random. If the number you bet on is called, then you end up winning.
This is one of the reasons why Keno is popular with players as it does not involve any elaborate gaming strategy as all players need to do is pick a series of number and then see if those numbers are chosen as the winning numbers.
Interested in learning more about Keno? Check out our video below to learn the basics and the top Keno casinos online.
Online Keno Basics
Keno is not a complicated game to play which is one of the reasons why new gamblers opt to play Keno as it prepares them for other tougher online casino games. Players who have never played a game of Keno will do well to take a few minutes to read one of the many keno guides which are available online. Players can also head over to YouTube and watch a few beginner keno videos for an introduction to the game of keno. There are a few online casinos that provide a basic guide to playing keno online.
Over the years, the game of Keno has evolved and today there is a number of online keno variants just like there is are a number of online poker variants. So when you are signing up with an online casino, go to the Keno section of games and see how many keno variants are on offer. Have a look at two or three online casinos which offer keno games and determine which online casino has more variants as it will give you more variety in your play.
Free vs. Real Money Keno Games
Most online casinos offer both free to play keno games and real money keno games. While playing real money keno games is definitely a lot more exciting, it is always good to get warmed up playing a few free to play keno games.
This is because when you play free online keno games, you do not use any of your own money and you gain valuable experience as you get to understand how the online keno software works, develop a strategy of how many spots to call and gain valuable experience as you learn from your mistakes.
When you understand how the game works and become comfortable with the online keno experience, you can then move on to real money keno games and see how much you can win.
Online Keno Strategy
While Keno is purely based on chance, there are a few tips that you can follow to increase the odds of you winning at online Keno.
- Don’t select a lot of numbers: The more numbers you select, the more likely you are to win but also the more you have to bet. There’s a thin line here, so it is advisable you choose between 4-5 spots at a time.
- Online Casino Welcome Bonus: Make sure you sign up at an online casino that offers you a fantastic sign-up bonus as you can use the free money to play online ken and see if you can win without spending money of your own.
- Manage your Bankroll: Do not get carried away and spend all your money in the first few rounds of keno. This is the easiest way for you to exhaust your bankroll and get into trouble.
- Casino Payouts: Take the time to research and find out what is the maximum payout of the online casino you are looking to sign-up with. The higher the payout, the better it is for you.
Although Keno may not have been as popular as some other casino games, such as real money blackjack and roulette, its popularity has been increasing with the introduction of the online variant of this game.
Online Keno doesn’t differ much from the traditional game. In fact, many players claim that playing Keno online is even more interesting than playing in land-based casinos because of the number of players that can participate at the same time. Furthermore, various casinos offer free online Keno games which are almost as fun as playing Keno for real money.
Let’s take a look at the short history of this game, how to play it, and how to get the most out of it. Read on!
What is Keno and Where Does it Come From?
The name Keno comes from either French quine, which means “five winning numbers”, or Latin quini, meaning “five each,” and it is a game of luck. Nevertheless, the true origin of this game is in no way related to Europe, but China instead.
Although there are no documents which can confirm the assumptions made by historians, it is still widely accepted that Keno is a game of Chinese origin. According to some legends that are still present among the Chinese citizens, Keno was used during the war as a way to raise funds and build the Great Wall of China.
The first written document about Keno was recorded back in 1847 when Macau became one of the places where playing it was legal. Keno became so popular that lottery operators used pigeons to send results to remote villagers who enjoyed playing this game.
Not long after that, the game was introduced to the West by the immigrants from China, and it gained immense popularity among those who loved playing games based on luck. It didn’t take Westerners long to rename the game to Keno and start promoting it as one of the great ways to have fun and even earn some money along the way.
How to Play Online Keno
Keno is essentially really similar to the lottery, except for the fact that more numbers are drawn than chosen. What does that mean?
In the lottery, you usually need to guess, say, seven numbers, and seven numbers are drawn in total. However, in Keno, you get to choose up to ten out of eighty numbers, but a total of twenty-two numbers are drawn. In other words, you get almost twice as many chances to guess all your numbers right and win the maximum possible prize.
However, even if you don’t manage to win all the numbers that you had selected, you are still in for a treat, since Keno awards you even if you guess only a few of them. In most cases, the minimum number that you need to guess right in order to get paid is half of the total numbers chosen. Naturally, “the more the merrier” rule is applied here, and guessing just half of them doesn’t bring huge prizes. On the other hand, if you guess more than a half but not all of them, for example, you can still receive lucrative prizes in return.
Choose a free online Keno or real money Keno game on one of the popular online casino sites from here or listed above in table.
Some sites may require that you register before you start playing. If that is the case, make sure to fill out the sign-up form and open an account.
Enter the game of your choice and carefully examine the rules as they may differ a bit, mostly regarding the odds.
Select the amount of money that you want to bet.
Choose up to ten out of eighty available numbers.
Wait for the game to begin.
Wait for the results.
Claim your reward if you were lucky enough to guess at least half of the numbers right.
Repeat the whole process as many times as you want.
Different types of Keno
The major difference between various Keno types is the one regarding the design. You can find dozens of online Keno games which have identical rules, but some might look better than the others.
Moreover, Keno games may differ in terms of the number of digits that you can choose, and the number of digits that are drawn. Some types of Keno that are worth mentioning include:
- Keno Poker
- Instant Bingo
- Venetian Keno
- Baseball Keno
- Hot Zone Keno
- Roulette Keno
Ultimate Experience: How We Rate the Best Online Keno Casinos
In order to provide players with the best gaming experience, we’ve searched every corner of the internet and selected only the most trustworthy operators that meet our rigorous criteria, including:
Since security is a top priority, we first consider whether a keno casino holds a valid license.
We also check if it employs SSL encryption to protect its users’ data and payment information and if the games are audited for fairness.
Trusted Banking Options
Aside from providing a wide range of banking methods, the casinos on our list also need to offer fast transaction times.
The variety of bonuses and promotions is essential. However, we also carefully read the fine print to ensure the operator offers fair terms, conditions, and wagering requirements.
Lastly, to pass our test with flying colors, a keno casino must offer 24/7 support via several means, including:
- Live chat
- Social media
Understanding the Differences Between Keno and the Lottery: Is Keno Better?
Keno and the lottery may seem identical, especially since the goal of both games is the same — pick the numbers you want and match as many as you can to hit the jackpot. However, there are several differences between these two luck-based games.
- Keno lets you choose more numbers — Unlike lotteries that usually have only a few numbers you can choose from (for instance, 6 in the range of 30 to 50), keno allows you to pick up to 20 numbers out of 80.
- Keno is a fast-paced game — Many players will opt for keno, as it is a quick-paced game whose results are revealed quickly. Compared to the lotteries, where numbers are revealed less frequently (sometimes only once or twice a week), keno draws occur every few minutes and inform you how much you’ve won immediately.
- Keno produces more winners overall — If you hit all of the chosen numbers in the lottery, you can receive a big win — but not much if you only get a number or two right. In contrast, keno payouts depend on how many numbers you have chosen and what your initial bet is. Plus, you can also win cash, free plays, or similar incentives usually unavailable in lotteries.
- Keno is more convenient to play — Most lotteries run only once per week, and regardless of how many tickets you play with, you can only use them during that one time. Conversely, you can play online keno anytime and for as long as you like since online casinos are open 24/7.
Ultimately, it all comes down to your preferences, but if you like the idea of picking more numbers, playing at any time, and winning frequently, then keno is the game for you.
Tips & Tricks for playing Keno
- First and foremost, avoid selecting ten numbers right away. Instead, choose up to five or six numbers for starters. That way, you will pay less per round and there is a greater possibility to hit all the numbers.
- Second, make sure to see whether casinos offer additional bonuses once you open an account. Many online casinos have various welcome rewards and sign-up offers for new players which you can use to jump-start your Keno sessions and play with the bonus money before you start playing with your own.
- The third most important thing is not to get carried away and invest a lot of money without getting anything in return. Make sure to plan your budget accordingly and don’t go hard on your bankroll. After all, Keno is a game of luck, and if it isn’t your lucky day, you should try another time.
- Finally, playing Keno for real money means playing in an online casino. However, various casinos have various rules, especially regarding payments. Therefore, you should research the casino of your choice before opening an account and find more about the payment methods that are available on that platform.
Online Keno FAQ
Just like many land-based casinos, most online operators now offer Keno for those looking for a more leisurely gambling experience. If you’ve never tried it before but are thinking about giving it a shot, here are some basic notions of Keno explained, to help you on your way.